Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dunmail Drive development (Read 17344 times)
Trevor

Ingleboro Drive
Re: Dunmail Drive development
Reply #15 - Feb 6th, 2005 at 11:14pm

Quote:
For what it's worth I think the traffic isn't too bad around the school, and it is only for a small window in the morning and evening.

The thought of cars racing up and down through the old woods is terrible!

Yes - far better for them to race up and down the residential streets used by lots of children going to and from school plus residents.
The small window in the morning and afternoon is great for keeping elderly residents off the streets. They would only get in the way of your cars if they tried crossing the road. It would be very selfish of them to want to leave the house during the school run.

IP Logged

westfield
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 7:44pm

Surely the people just walk on the pavement ??? Your 'protect the pedestrian' argument doesn't really add up when on the other hand you are suggesting opening up a perfectly good pedestrian path through the woods to traffic!

IP Logged

Trevor

Ingleboro Drive
Reply #17 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 9:03pm

alas, dunmail drive isn't perfectly good - it's a very uneven surface, muddy, strewn with litter, unlit. it's verging on dangerous at the best of times, more so in wet weather or after dark.

elsewhere i've suggested that dunmail drive should be opened up with a properly surfaced road with speed humps and pavement and lighting and that the local council can then sweep dunmail drive just the same as any other road.

IP Logged

Triciag

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

riddlesdown
Reply #18 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 8:16pm

Wow lots of interesting points of view ! I would like to throw in a few thoughts -
I am a resident of Grisedale gardens and have not been asked my opinion either way - when did this take place? - feel I am being blamed for a handful of other peoples opinions
"school spreading the net wider ? In fact the 1st item on the criteria list on the prospectus is that you should have attended one of the 5 local feeder schools !!
I also have a child at Riddlesdown school and am far more interested in paving over the path that leads from Grisedale to the School gates
Are the parents that drive up to Honister heights aware that we drive on the left hand side of the road in this country ? - they often cut off the corner half way up Derwent drive in a bid to shave 2 seconds off their journey ! You drive down in school time at your peril.
How about a half way house ? - rather than make the road good, why not build a wide pedestrian path with good lighting, the children can then walk up the path safely, rather than covered in mud or tripping over the uneven surface. The children could be dropped off at the bottom of Mitchley Hill, where there are no residents to upset. As an added bonus they would be fulfilling the wishes of government to attack obesity in children by giving them more exercise !!

IP Logged

westfield
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 2:28pm

Quote:
strewn with litter
That's true... I took the kids up there before Christmas  and I was amazed at how much rubbish there was on the side of the path.

I was also shocked to see that the 'hump' created by the old bomb crater had disappeared and that the road runs straight now! I assume this was part of the work to put that mast up there? Where do the kids start their toboggan runs from now Wink

Mind you, there don't seem to be the number of dumped cars that there used to be when I was a kid.

We used to have a 'work party' day every now and again, I think probably organised by the 19th Purley Scouts, and we would clear the woods of dumped rubbish etc. etc. a couple of times a year.

IP Logged

Trevor

Ingleboro Drive
Reply #20 - Feb 19th, 2005 at 3:15pm

i heard that the new surface on the lower part of dunmail drive was done as a favour by someone who knows someone etc rather than done by the owners etc - no idea if that's true or not

the hump didn't go, it just got 'smoothed over'

19th purley scout group still have work days a couple of times a year, but really only for maintenance of the scout hut and grounds. alas only the same few people turn up each time.

in any case, it shouldn't be up to the scout group (or residents) to clear litter dropped by the school kids ...... i think the RRA has been trying to get the school to clear up the litter, but doesn't seem to have been much success ..........

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print