Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Urban foxes (Read 10778 times)
Nick Bygrave
YaBB Administrator

YaBB Admin Land
Urban foxes
Nov 6th, 2002 at 7:46am

Graham Hillier has sent us a copy of his letter to the Council, quoted below, and I would like to know if other residents have views on the subject.

Mr John Pilot
Environmental Services Department
Room 1102
Taberner House
Park Lane
Croydon
CR9 3BT

Dear Sir,
MENACE OF URBAN FOXES

I know the fox is a protected species, but I feel the time has arrived when some form of culling or removal to a country area has become the necessary course of action.

Last weekend while mowing the front garden, a fox had the audacity to steal a gardening glove after I had laid them on the ground to go indoors.  A few minutes later the culprit was back, this time trying to bite through the electric cable. I then shooed him away only to find a few minutes later my waste sheet disappearing through the hedge.  All this in the middle of the afternoon.

Foxes in this area are now so commonplace, they are seen out in the open brazenly tearing plastic rubbish bin liners apart, defecating on the lawn and digging up the flowerbeds. In the summer they’re laying out in the garden with no fear of humans whatsoever.
Their dirt is seen everywhere and they themselves are filthy with matted fur and bare patches across their bodies. At night their wailing and barking can cause a real problem for light sleepers.

Summing up, the fox has become a thorough menace and filthy noisy nuisance and I can’t understand why we should have to put up with them any longer.

I look forward to your views on the subject. 

Yours faithfully,
                                                                                                                       G F Hillier       

Nick Bygrave
IP Logged

Trevor

Ingleboro Drive
Re: Urban foxes
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2002 at 9:32pm

i have to agree that foxes are a nuisance, especially at night with the noise. i'm tempted to get a couple of hounds. i know other neighbours suffer from fox noise as i hear them shouting at the foxes in the early hours.

i actually found one fox upstairs in the kids bedroom in the summer. i'd left the kitchen door open on a hot day and the fox had just wandered in while i was working in the front room. i heard a noise upstairs, went to take a look, and the fox ran straight out of the kids room, down the stairs and out the door.

it's a shame more people don't make the effort to write letters of complaint - if they did, something might get done. well done graham.

IP Logged

Nick Bygrave
YaBB Administrator

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2002 at 6:21pm

I shall be interested to see the reply to Graham's letter to the Council. I spoke to one of our Committee members who is interested in this sort of environmental issue. She has take it up with the Council in the past and found them very fox friendly. Perhaps we need a change of Council regime.

Nick Bygrave

Nick Bygrave
IP Logged

Trevor

Ingleboro Drive
Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2002 at 3:18am

just a shotgun will do for me nick - 4am and yet again i've been woken up by vermin screeching outside

IP Logged

Larry
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2003 at 6:17pm

Living on the edge of London and bordering the countryside should we not be tolerant of the wild life that shares this envrionment. We have a choice to choose were we live. Foxes  have to make the best of what is on offer. I feel sure those that have an issue with seeing/hearing  foxes  given a choice would not want to move towards Inner London were perhaps the wildlife is less but other problems greater! They are part of our natural wildlife and should be  admired for what they are and the resilience they show.

IP Logged

Paula

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2003 at 9:50am

Whilst I can sympathise with what everyone has been through, I have to agree with Larry really.  Foxes were around long before we were - we have encroached on their environment.  Why should we feel we have the right to move somewhere and just shove all the wildlife in that area out the way?  Are they not just entitled to be here as we are?  As Larry says - foxes have to make the best of what they have.  Their own environment is getting smaller and smaller whilst ours is getting bigger.  They have no choice but to encroach on what we consider to be our land.

IP Logged

martin
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2003 at 10:33pm

I feel I have to disagree with Larry about the foxes. This are is not a natural habitat for a fox it has evolved as one due to human intervention. As evidenced by a recent report in a national newspaper the majority of urban foxes rely on humans to feed them. These are not necessarily friendly animals, they have been known to attack young children and carry vermin. In my own experience I have had a lot of disruption to my  garden such as excrement and tearing up plants as well as waking the next door neighbours dog at all hours.
I don't hate foxes but I feel at this stage some sort of cull is in order as they are getting a bit out of control around here. If they were in their own natural environment there would be no need for a cull as nature would take care of it!

IP Logged

Larry
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2003 at 9:31am

I think this debate would be never ending. What is a natural environment with the urdan sprawl taking over the countryside it seems that all our wildlife has to make the best of what is on offer. One of the reasons on moving here was the close proximity to wild open country space. With Riddlesdowm Common and the attached pockets of woodland this is a natural wildlife corridor for a number of mammals. The programs last week on the BBC Wildlife in the Garden mentioned that the biggest nature reserve we have is the countrys  back gardens some 1 million acres. At certain times of the year there does seem to be more foxes, but by the end of the year Nov- Dec the numbers would have declind, in fact it has been proven foxes self regulate their population.based on a number of issues. It's a pity the human race cannot take a leaf out of their book with 6 billion and rising fast.

IP Logged

Ed
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2003 at 9:17pm

what we should do is swop some of the foxes for the hedgehogs that are to be/have been culled on the island off Scotland. The hedgehogs would then hopefully cull those huge slugs we get here. Except for dead ones in the road, i haven't seen a hedgehog in a garden since i was about 5 years old, and that's a long time ago.
Ed

IP Logged

John_B
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Derwent Drive
Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 2:22pm

Foxes are a pain in the backside. Something has to be done about them, all they ever do is make noise and mess. They should be culled! As for the hedgehogs i think that is a good idea, but caution is needed as we could end up infested by hedgehogs instead of slugs.

Riddlesdown Rocks!!

IP Logged

Paula

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #10 - Oct 15th, 2003 at 10:41am

A lot of people are a pain in the backside and do nothing but make noise and mess - but we don't cull them do we?????

I agree that foxes are a pain - they come and dig up our garden a lot, but, we do have to live with nature.  I'm sure they find us equally as annoying.  I don't see why we should decide to live somewhere and cull all the wildlife around there because it annoys us.  We chose to live here - we have to put up with what that entails.  Remember the wildlife was around long before we were!

IP Logged

lucysmith
YaBB Newbies

West Norwood
Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 8:43am

Perhaps the fox was a keen gardener?

Seriously though, some of this definitely has to do with humans being responsible by not leaving rubbish out in bags that the foxes can get to and thereby encouraging them. If there is food around they will make a nuisance of themselves.

See http://www.wildlondon.org.uk/wildinfo/foxes.htm for more ideas on how to live with foxes.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2004 at 10:30am by lucysmith »  

Lucy Smith
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print