Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Riddlesdown Common - dog toilet! (Read 6989 times)
SaraJane
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Riddlesdown Common - dog toilet!
Oct 6th, 2004 at 7:52am

Does anyone share my disgust that Riddlesdown Common seems to be one large dogs' toilet? I have given up taking my toddler, as I was unable to let him run around due to the sheer volume of dog mess up there! Not only is it disgusting when stepped in but its also dangerous for young children. There are dog waste bins and notices but this seems to have little impact. I tackled an errant dog-owner one day, who blatantly allowed his dog to foul near the footpath and was promptly told to f-off. Nice neighbours we have! I like dogs and have no gripe with them enjoying a good run up there, it's the owners who are irresponsible.
Is there anything we could do? Lobby the council to patrol the area and actually enforce these fines once in awhile? Get dogs banned? Start a petition, storm the council chamber........... Angry

IP Logged

Trevor

Ingleboro Drive
Re: Riddlesdown Common - dog toilet!
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2004 at 8:57am

yup, fully agree

i bet someone says it's common land so dogs are permitted to poo everywhere and owners are not obliged to clean it up

IP Logged

Tricia Evemy

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2004 at 12:53pm

Couldn't agree more, I have moaned about this before, especially in the alleyway up to Riddlesdown school. My daughter regularly comes home with a present on her shoe!
Again I have nothing against dogs at all, but it is spoiling the countryside which we all moved here to enjoy !

IP Logged

Sebastian

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 5:59pm

Angry

I totally agree that Riddlesdown Common should be renamed as the Riddlesdown Dog Sewage Farm. Unfortunately many irresponsible dog owners do not have any consideration for other people with young children. I will not let my young child roam off the path where you can spot and dodge the dog mess. However, I do applaude the 1 in 5 that do pick up the mess.

What doesn't help are professional dog walkers that descend daily on the downs and allow several dogs to run riot and foul the path and grass. In addition, whilst the space is free to use, dog owners should keep thier dogs under control.  

Perhaps the City of London should levy a Car Park charge. I am sure that most of the offenders do not live locally and drive to the downs. Also, dog wardens should be employed to patrol the downs, especially at weekends, and deal with offenders by giving out fixed penalty notice.

IP Logged

PURLEY_KING
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 12:20am

As a dog owner/walker on Riddlesdown I could not agree more that it has become a dogs toilet. I ALWAYS take  bags to use if neccessary and the bins are never far away.
Walkers with or without dogs MUST challenge people who let their dogs foul anywhere and then never clear it up. If they are told on a regular basis maybe they will get the message.
How about taking a digital camera, photographing the owners ( no not the dogs), and posting the pics on the open Riddlesdown web site. Then everybody can challenge and shame the right people.

IP Logged

Alan
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2005 at 10:27pm

For dog owners, there is an advert on the back of the main notice board (car park) for a product called Poop Freeze which may be of interest.
This may make the process of disposal far more easy.

IP Logged

Trevor

Ingleboro Drive
Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2005 at 1:44am

an even better idea - dog nappies - make it law that every dog wears a nappy ooutside the house / owners garden
http://store.poochpad.com/poochpants.html

same for the horses that crap outside my house all the time
http://www.cyberhorse.net.au/stablemaid/

there are laws about cleaning up after dogs, but apparently it's ok for horse owners to not clean up after their pets ............

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print