Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
German Bombs on Riddlesdown (Read 3663 times)
mikereate
YaBB Newbies

German Bombs on Riddlesdown
Jan 14th, 2012 at 8:52pm

This may interest some of you. An historic memory, and remaining evidence. I am 77 and currently lecturing in the US until April. I was brought up in Brian Avenue, Sanderstead, and used to bus to St John Fisher School, Purley, walking to catch the 234 single decker at its terminus in Mitchley Avenue. Look at Google Earth please, and find that clear concreted bus turnabout. Then look south across the sloping fields. About 200 yards from the road there is a faint visible line of damaged earth surface - four blemishes which the current farmers bypass. I watched a German bomber drop four bombs on that slope, heading south out of London at about 1,000 feet. The explosions brought large quantities of chalk up and spread them across the nearby earth. With my chum, Michael Driscoll, who lived in Ingleboro Drive, I explored the fields. We dropped down into the deep craters.
A fascinating memory - but not a happy one!

IP Logged

Phil_Thomas
YaBB Administrator

Re: German Bombs on Riddlesdown
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 9:05am

Thank you Mikereate. It is always fascinating to learn of history and past events in Riddlesdown. I have copied the map below, for others to look, so click on the link below, which I believe you are referring to. I just wonder if they were aiming for the railway tunnel which is a few hundred metres west of those craters in Mitchley Ave and missed? Can you remember the date/year that happened?
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/myplaces?hl=en&ll=51.328413,-0.089403&spn=0.004907...

I notice there are also five craters on the agricultural land which the same farmer manages, running from Mitchley Hill up to the end of Borrowdale Drive. Do you or anyone else know the history of these craters which appear deeper? See link:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/myplaces?hl=en&ll=51.33092,-0.080101&spn=0.004907,...

If you haven't already looked, you maybe interested in the old photos on our picture gallery - "Riddlesdown Then"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print