HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Broadband Provider (Read 2460 times)
johnck
YaBB Newbies

Broadband Provider
Dec 31st, 2015 at 11:59am

Hello, I'm moving to Hyde Road shortly, any recommendations on the best broadband provider? looking online it seems like all the major companies are in the area but I'm a little suspicious Smiley

IP Logged

Phil_Thomas
YaBB Administrator

Re: Broadband Provider
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 11:23am

Welcome to the area johnck (when you move in!).

I think the main question you need to decide is whether you want your supply via BT Openreach on either wired broadband or by fibre optic or alternatively by underground cable. Virtually all of our area is covered by Virgin who have underground cable in most streets. I understand download speeds are pretty good with them. Sky is obviously another supplier.

For Hyde Rd your nearest BT telephone exchange would be  the Sanderstead exchange in Church Way. If you enter the postcode in this link http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ it will show you where the exchange is. Obviously with fibre a lot depends on where the nearest street cabinet is for Hyde Rd. I know there is a cabinet on the corner of Court Hill and Purley Downs Rd which is possibly the one for Hyde Rd.

Other parts on the western side of Riddlesdown are served by the Purley BT exchange on Brighton Rd, Purley (which is mine) so the distance is further and my speed is slightly lower because of this.

My own fibre supplier is Plusnet but because of the distance from my nearest street box the download speed is around 20mb. So not that brilliant for London!

Hopefully someone else who lives in Hyde Rd or nearby might also respond on here. If you are on Facebook, try going on the Riddlesdown Residents page and post the same message on there.

Hope that helps?

IP Logged

johnck
YaBB Newbies

Re: Broadband Provider
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2016 at 10:28am

Hi Phil
Many thanks for your response. Much appreciated.
I think BT is the way to go!
Cheers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print